Winning the Talent War
BKBG Shareholders relate that finding and retaining best-in-class talent is one of their greatest challenges. With unemployment rates dipping below four percent nationally, that challenge is becoming increasingly more difficult.
Hiring the wrong person is often worse than not hiring anyone at all. Part of the challenge in hiring is determining how well a candidate will fit with the existing culture. Here are several questions to gain insights into a candidate’s motivation, entrepreneurial thinking and teamwork.
- What areas would you focus on in this position to solve existing problems or those you might encounter in the future?
- If you elected to join our showroom, what are the reasons you would tell friends and family why you selected us?
- What are you passionate about?
- If you have great ideas for improving our operations but you worry about stepping on others’ toes, what would you do?
- What would you do on your first day on the job?
- Describe a situation where you disagreed with a coworker. What was the nature of the disagreement and how was it resolved?
- What types of feedback have you received in your previous positions on how you can improve your performance?
- Describe your most trusted mentors. What did you learn from them that has helped you work with others?
Asking these types of questions will help you determine if a prospect will fit into your corporate culture and has comparable core values.